As part of Wester Inch, Centrepoint Church is working in partnership with the community association to enhance our village by developing an excellent purpose-built building suitable for church and community use.
Who We Are
Centrepoint Church is a Christ-centred, Bible-based Christian church located in Wester Inch Village. We emerged in 2008 per the request of village residents for a local church and continue to enjoy consistent growth. In addition to Wester Inch residents, we attract people from across West Lothian and are the only church in the village.
Project Background and Rationale
Since inception in Spring 2008, we have been meeting for our worship gatherings in the Simpson Primary School gym hall and community wing. It has been our long-standing ambition to acquire land in the village centre of Wester Inch suitable for a church building of our own that will also add value and benefit to the community.
The life of Centrepoint Church revolves around weekly worship, community fellowship, and providing avenues for spiritual growth. Whereas the Simpson Primary School gym hall and community centre are sufficiently large for our church, this space is not adequate for a number of reasons:
- First, the gym hall is not designed for worship; it is a large, sterile space with poor acoustics and uncomfortable seating. Both our church and the community would benefit from a space designed to facilitate worship.
- Second, only our weekly worship gathering can be accommodated by the gym hall and community wing; letting this space for additional activities is cost prohibitive. Thus, there is much we would like to do as a church that we currently cannot do.
- Third, because of these access limitations, we lack space for community engagement. A beautiful, functional church building in Wester Inch addresses these issues.
- Wester Inch community lacks the type of space we intend to develop (including state-of-the-art venue suitable for performances, café, and multi-use space).
A beautiful, functional church building in Wester Inch addresses these issues.
We believe that church is people, not a building. However, the functions of church (worship, fellowship, spiritual growth and outreach) all require appropriate space for their effective implementation. It is our vision to build a beautiful, excellent, and compelling space that will meet the needs of our church and enable us to serve our Wester Inch community.
- Our church needs appropriate space for worship: visually pleasing, acoustically excellent, distinct but not formal.
- We offer a weekly kid’s programme including crèche and Sunday school, and want to provide our children with a well-planned, purpose-built space.
- We value fellowship and aspire to have appropriate space for informal engagement including a café and multi-purpose space.
- We wish to provide a variety of classes, programmes, and seminars for the church and the wider community, and these would be on offer through well-equipped classroom space.
We envision these spaces synergistically being brought together in an aesthetically pleasing, highly functional, eco-friendly, state-of-the-art building.
In developing our church building, we aspire to be the “heart” of Wester Inch Village; a central hub for the community where residents feel welcome and at home. Our church will add value to our community by providing space that would not otherwise be available:
- Café and gathering space: Wester Inch lacks a focal point for community gatherings. Our building will include a spacious café with gathering space open for the community and available to hire for special events.
- State-of-the-Art Venue: our sanctuary will be equipped with excellent A/V and lighting to offer the community a quality venue for performances and shows.
- Multi-purpose space and classrooms: for clubs, groups, and private functions, our building will offer a variety of spaces for hire. These rooms will also be suitable for business and conference functions.
- Special Interest Programmes: our church and other charities will be able to use our space to offer a wide range of programmes that will support and promote the health and wellbeing of Wester Inch residents.
Ground Floor Plan
First Floor Plan
Our church building with community benefit will be located in the Wester Inch village centre as part of the developement plan proposed by Persimmon. However, the final location is subject to planning approval by the West Lothian Council.
“...local neighbourhood centres are at the heart of the area’s communities, providing a focus for economic activity and growth, a sustainable and accessible location for employment and services, and a night time economy and an expression of civic identity and pride.
They play a key role in shaping the area’s sense of place and contributing to the West Lothian economy.“
West Lothian Local Development Plan
~ 2015 ~
M4 is designated as the Local Neighbourhood Centre.
NOTE: While these plans represent our intentions, they are conceptual, not finalised; they do not represent an application for planning permission.
All plans and designs by Alyn Smith of Covell-Matthews, Edinburgh.